We spent hours and hours in wind tunnels. We studied the effects of rolling on the structure of the rim to make a wheel dedicated to the very essence of speed, when average speeds are really high and every watt has to count. The new 55 mm design is the latest response to the historic challenge of headwinds and attrition.
- The Rim - Rim for tubular in 3K carbon, 55 mm high, with 24.2 mm section. Rim-tubular contact well in 3K carbon for optimum resistance.
- The Braking Track - 3K carbon braking track with 3Diamant™ treatment to guarantee power and excellent feel when braking in any condition.
- Hubs and Flange - CULT™ ceramic bearings, the maximum in terms of smoothness thanks to the use ofspecial reduced lubricant bearings. Conecup technology with absolute performance. Carbon hubs with oversize aluminium flange and Two-to-One™ technology to transmit all the power to the ground.
- Spokes and Nipples - Variable aero spokes (18 front, 21 rear) in steel, aluminium nipples. Thanks the light weight they reduce the peripheral mass, enemy of reactivity.
- Cult™ - Ceramic Ultimate Level Technology™ - Behind this project is the exclusiveness of Cronitect® steel, using “Advanced by FAG” technology by Schaeffler Group employed for the bearing races. This steel is resistant to the corrosion of the highest level until the point that no grease is necessary for lubrication, maybe just a small amount of oil. The top quality ceramic balls, thanks to the absence of lubricating grease and the precision machine of the cup and cone technology, allow to reduce the friction coefficient drastically and then increase the smoothness of triathlon and road bike wheels by as much as 9 times compared to standard bearings. An outstanding result achieved by using cutting-edge technologies in the field of materials processing.
- RDB™ Rim Dynamic Balance - The concept is simple and elegant: balance the weight of the gasket, with an item of similar weight placed on the exact opposite side.
- 2:1 Two-To-One™ - When you push on the pedals, the rotational force on the sprocket induces a slackening of the freewheel spokes with a consequent loss of rim tension. This results in undesirable flex of the whole wheel and an unavoidable loss of energy. Fulcrum® has solved this classic cycling problem with its 2:1 Two-to-One™ Spoke Ratio patent, by doubling the spokes in the critical zones.
- DRSC™ - Directionated Rim-Spoke Coupling - Exclusive rim/spoke coupling system. It allows the rim, spokes, nipples and hub to align properly with the same tensioning value in all areas.
- MoMag™ - What is MoMag™? A magnet and lots of ingenuity. This was what led to the patent for the well-tested “Mounting Magnet” system, or MoMag™
- Anti-Rotation System™ - This new system raises the concept of spoking to a new level of performance for road bike and triathlon wheels. The Fulcrum® engineers have redesigned the spokes and the hub housings to create a solid and unmoveable whole. The result is that the spokes a) will never lose their initial tension, thus keeping the wheel perfectly reactive and centred, b) will remain in the position that have been studied in the wind tunnel tests to ensure the best aerodynamic penetration possible.
- F.I.C. Fulcrum Identification Card - 100% Handmade Quality - Right from its inception Fulcrum® has been marked by feature that continues to this day: that is to design, prototype and industrialise all the wheels characterised by the red “F”. Indeed these take shape inside of the R&D, the leading-edge department that represents the beating heart of the Italian company. Every single component of the wheel, the materials chosen and the technologies applied are the tangible result of the effort that Fulcrum® makes every day to give you maximum performance and reliability.
- Traceability - A guarantee of quality. The keyword for our products is: traceable. If you find a little label attached to any Fulcrum® product, do not remove it. It will provide you a guarantee in case of an ascertained defectiveness of a production batch, and so the component needed or wheel will be traceable. All this because, devoted to its mission, Fulcrum® demands the absolute perfection and safety for its customers.
- 3Diamant: Surface Treatment for Braking Tracks - Mediocrity is not synonymous of quality standard, Fulcrum® is continuously researching all new standards of performance for its products. Even if the current brake performances on the full carbon wheelsets, were already of a high quality, Fulcrum® engineers wanted to improve even further the power of the brake and shorten the braking distance of its products.
- Rim Full Carbon Technology - Full carbon Fulcrum® rims are built using combinations, developed in the laboratory, of different types of fibre, including UD and the famous 90-degree 3K of models at the top of our range. To build them we developed a special HTG (high transition grade) resin, whose glass transition point is at a higher temperature than any other fibre used in the bicycle industry.
This gives incomparable performance when braking.
- Wide Rim Tech - Fulcrum®’s R&D department, following requests from the competition circuit, has worked to create rims that are wider than before, about 4 mm or more than previously. This technical choice provides an ideal basis for 25/28mm tyres, the sizes currently popular.
This ensures stability, excellent handling and superior comfort.
- Unrilled Rim Bed - No holes on the bridge connector means that the rim is uniform at every point, free from critical areas subject to stress. The advantages are immediately clear: less weight, longer lasting rims, greater resistance to fatigue, the possibility of giving the spokes more tension and more stiffness which, in terms of performance, means improved responsiveness and acceleration.
- Cup & Cone - The cup-and-cone bearing differs from the classic cartridge bearing because it works in perfect alignment with the forces involved, weight and thrust from the frame, as the bearings run in a race positioned directly opposing these forces.
- Carbon Hubs - In line with their aim to save every possible gram of weight and to choose the most advanced technological solutions, the R&D department has developed a seamless carbon hub.
The fibre selected is woven at 90 degrees, for enhanced balance of torque when pedalling.
- Plasma Freehub - The Plasma treatment makes the aluminium especially hard and resistant to surface abrasion and wear. This has allowed thickness of materials to be reduced to a minimum, achieving advantages of lighter weight, while maintaining lifespan and reliability.
- Oversize Flange - The Oversize Flange was developed from the need to create a system to transmit every watt to the ground without dispersion, stiffening the wheel system where necessary, without having to add spokes or superstructures that increase weight. The oversize flange uses physics to solve the problem. It increases dishing and enables spokes to be shortened. Doubling the spokes creates a balanced system that is excellent at transmitting torque.
- Tyre Type: Tubular
- Tyre Size: 28"
- Weight: 1280 g.
- Rim Material: Carbon
- Rim Material Details: Full carbon, 3K - carbon fiber finishing
- Rim Height Category: High
- Rim Height: Front and rear 55 mm
- Rim Width: 24.2 mm
- Tyre Width (Suggested): From 25 mm to 32 mm
- Braking System: Caliper
- Braking Surface/Braking Options: 3K carbon fiber braking surface. 3Diamant treatment on braking surface
- Front Axle Compatibility: QR
- Rear Axle Compatibility: QR
- Front Wheel Spokes: 18 (9 left + 9 right)
- Rear Wheel Spokes: 21, Two to one (9 left + 9 right)
- Spokes Material: Stainless steel, double butted
- Spokes Profile Technology: Aero, straight pull
- Nipples: Aluminium
- Front Hub: Carbon, Aluminium flanges
- Rear Hub: Carbon, Aluminium oversize flange
- Bearings: CULT ceramic bearings. Adjustable Cup & Cones bearing system
- Others: Plasma treated HG freewheel. Aluminium Axle